In the wake of the devastating floods in Victoria, Australia is once again grappling with the issue of how to address the problem of water-borne illness.
In an interview with News24 on Monday, Health Minister Greg Hunt revealed that he had recently had a “troubling experience” with a young boy who had a fever and was suffering from a sore throat.
“He came into our office in the middle of the night and we were struggling to get him out of bed because his throat was so sore,” Mr Hunt said.
“I think the first thing we do is ask for a syringe and we do that and we put him into the bathtub.”
Mr Hunt also revealed that the man who had been the subject of the previous crisis was also experiencing a sore cough.
“It was really upsetting for me to hear the guy in that situation that we had to do this in our health system because he had a sore neck,” Mr Hunse said.
“I’m not a medical professional, but this is a guy who’s been in the emergency department, in the hospital, and we’ve done what we’ve been told.”
Despite the initial diagnosis, the boy, now aged eight, had recovered from the illness and had not required further treatment.
Mr Hunse told News24 that he was hopeful that the situation would improve in the coming days.
“I think he’s going to have a better day tomorrow,” Mr Henneke said.
The Government will be holding a briefing on the issues surrounding waterborne illness at the next Health Minister meeting in early December.
The man is currently undergoing tests for the virus.
As of yet, no one has been diagnosed with the virus and Mr Hunt has said he was confident the boy would be able to move on.
But for those affected, there is still much work to be done.
It is understood that in the past week, more than 60 people have tested positive for the coronavirus, including about 40 people who had tested positive in Melbourne.
Many of those who tested positive are expected to test negative, although it is not clear if this means that the illness will become more common.
There is a need for more testing, as there are about 1.2 million people in the Australian Capital Territory who have had contact with the sick man.
One of the people who has been testing positive is a 17-year-old girl who has travelled to the state from Victoria.
It is unclear if she has tested positive and if she is free of the virus yet.
She told News21 that she was happy to get tested, but added that she would need to get more information before she could decide whether she should continue to travel.
“I don’t think it’s going anywhere because I don’t know what I’ll be doing in a few days,” she said.
If I get a little bit of a fever, that could be the time when I need to see a doctor, I think.” “
It’s not just going to be the coronacids and everything that’s going on with the viruses.
If I get a little bit of a fever, that could be the time when I need to see a doctor, I think.”
More to come…